Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Beauty of Salvation: May We Shout for Joy!
This week's Carnival of Beauty, hosted by Autumn Rain, celebrates the Beauty of Salvation. I have shared some of my own testimony before, but want to share a story of salvation from my own family that is particularly precious to us at Christmas.

As a family, we never went to church. My mother was so against Christianity that, when she found out that I went to a Scripture Union club at primary school, she forbade to go again! For me, it had been a fun way to spend a lunchtime but nothing else more spiritual.

At secondary school, I discovered a love and talent for singing. I sang in school choirs and school musicals, taking part in competitions against other schools, and singing solos at concerts and carol services. My singing teacher then suggested joining a church choir.

I wasn't going to that church for the teaching, so it didn't matter that the minister didn't believe in the deity of Christ, the virgin birth, the inerrancy of the Bible or the truth of the miracles. However I began to read the Bible. I'm not sure when exactly I became a Christian - it was more like a gradual dawning. I was in the middle of it before I had realised that I had started!

Throughout all of this, I was still singing in the choir. On Christmas Eve 1998, I was to sing a solo in the Watchnight Service. My parents had decided that this was all a 'religious' phase that I would soon grow out of but they would come to hear me whenever I was singing a solo.

That evening, we had a blazing argument. I haven't a clue what it was about now, but I'm sure there was crying, shouting and probably door slamming! (I am ashamed to admit this, but offer it to show what God worked from!) They said they would not come to see me sing so I stomped out of the house and went to church myself.

A strange thing happened at home that night. For some reason, my parents, my very anti-religion parents, my atheist parents, decided they would go to church anyway and, late that night, walked up the hill to the local church. They went to the service, then the following Sunday went back and kept on going back.

By God's wonderful providence, the minister there was a Christian and preached the Bible faithfully. That night, he shared the truth of the Christmas story that did not leave Jesus as a helpless babe in a manger but that explained why that baby came and how, through him, people could have their sins forgiven and have eternal life.

My parents heard and believed God's word and became Christians. It has been wonderful to see the transformation in their lives and in my family. It is such a blessing to go home and to be able to talk of God's goodness and to share Christian fellowship. They are both so involved in that church now, with my father even becoming an elder last year. I am so thankful to God for how he has brought them to a living faith and for the outworking of their salvation.

May we shout for joy over your salvation,
and in the name of our God set up our banners!
May the Lord fulfill all your petitions!

Psalm 20:5

Labels: , ,


  posted at 12:16  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 19 December, 2006 19:37, Blogger Susanna said...

That is awesome and beautiful :) The Lord is so gracious in the way He works in families and it just encourages us to keep praying and wotnesseing even to those who have no time for God.

Happy Christmas to you and yours.

 
At 20 December, 2006 16:37, Blogger Keziah said...

Susanna - thank you for visiting! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas too!

 
At 21 December, 2006 03:30, Blogger Overwhelmed! said...

How beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Keziah

Location:
Scotland, United Kingdom

My Complete Profile

Favourite Websites
  • BBC Online
  • Boundless Webzine
  • Christian Medical Fellowship
  • Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
  • Desiring God (John Piper)
  • Elisabeth Elliot
  • Flylady
  • Good Book Company
  • Ligonier Ministries (R C Sproul)
  • London Institute for Contemporary Christianity

  • Archives
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    December 2007

    Labels
  • 101 things in 1001 days
  • accountability
  • bible study
  • biblical manhood
  • biblical womanhood
  • carnival of beauty
  • catechism
  • Christmas
  • consider your ways
  • faith
  • family
  • history
  • homemaking
  • marriage
  • miscellaneous
  • mission
  • news
  • photos
  • prayer
  • quotations
  • reading
  • Scotland
  • scripture memory
  • singleness
  • spiritual disciplines
  • time/money management
  • work
  • year of abundance

  • Previous Posts
    Consider Your Ways: Question 28
    Psalms and Hymns and Spiritual Songs
    Wisdom of the Wise: George Herbert
    100 Things for my 100th Post
    Consider Your Ways: Question 27
    Consider Your Ways: Question 26
    He will Sustain You
    Wisdom of the Wise: Ebenezer Erskine
    Behold, the Days are Coming!
    Beauty of Reaching Out: Bearing with One Another

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter by:

    Verse of the Day

    Blogroll
  • A Deeper Love
  • A Gracious Home
  • Biblical Womanhood
  • Butterflies in the Sky
  • Following an Unknown Path
  • In All Things
  • John Dekker's Journal
  • Just Enjoy the Journey
  • Just My Journal
  • Life in Return
  • Little People
  • New Day
  • Onward and Upward
  • Rocks in my Dryer
  • Satire and Theology
  • Solo Femininity
  • Titus2Talk
  • Twenty Six Cats
  • Une Fille d'Eve

  • I am reading...
  • Biblical Womanhood in the Home
  • ESV Reformation Study Bible
  • Practical Prayer
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
  • Winter Stories (Tove Jansson)

  • I am listening to...
  • Classic FM at the Movies
  • Eyes Open (Snow Patrol)
  • Favourite Things (Connie Fisher)
  • The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid (Bill Bryson)
  • Messiah (Handel)

  • Buttons





    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring
    Join List Random