Wednesday, December 06, 2006
Behold, the Days are Coming!
Lindsey at her Christmas blog, Advent for Evangelicals, has asked us to share the story of our nativity scene and to share some of our Christmas traditions.

My nativity scene stays up all year round. It's from Peru so has a special place in my heart after working there but I also like to have it up all year to remind myself and others who visit that celebrating Jesus is not confined to December!

I have adopted a tradition from one of my American friends that I hope to introduce to my future family. The nativity is complete all year until Advent. At the beginning of Advent, the Baby Jesus is hidden away until Christmas morning as we wait for his birth.

The Wise Men also leave the nativity and go on a journey throughout the house until they arrive on Twelfth Night. (You can see them hiding travelling through one of my bookcases on the right.) My friend and her roommates would hide the Wise Men in turn. Whoever found them next would hide them for another person to find, until the 6th of January when whoever found them would return them to the nativity. Admittedly, this doesn't work quite as well when you live on your own! That said, my friends enjoy hiding them for me whenever they visit.

(Apologies for the terrible quality of the photos! I don't have a digital camera and didn't have time to get proper photos developed, then I couldn't work out how to get camera phone photos from the camera to my computer, so I am afraid I was stuck with using my webcam!)

Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will fulfill the promise I made to the house of Israel and the house of Judah. In those days and at that time I will cause a righteous Branch to spring up for David, and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. In those days Judah will be saved and Jerusalem will dwell securely. And this is the name by which it will be called: 'The LORD is our righteousness.'
Jeremiah 33:14-16

Labels: , , ,


  posted at 06:05  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 06 December, 2006 15:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a neat tradition!!

and . . . one i've never heard of before.

 
At 06 December, 2006 16:46, Blogger Donnetta said...

I posted about doing the traveling nativity with my children not so long ago. It is always so much fun!!

I absolutely love your nativity!!! Darling!

 
At 06 December, 2006 23:13, Blogger Keziah said...

I should really thank my friend Sharyl for introducing me to the idea of a travelling nativity. Glad you liked it!

 
At 07 December, 2006 02:02, Blogger Phil Ninness said...

Nice post. I like the little wise men! Only, shouldn't they be behind the books if they are hiding ;o)

I so think that's a great idea!!

 
At 09 December, 2006 21:15, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Amanda. That is a VERY cool tradition. I think I may start doing that as well.

I look forward to being married w/children (not rushing it) and being able to do this w/my children. Thanks for sharing this with us, Miss Keziah :)

Christ alone,
Jenn

 
At 18 December, 2006 11:57, Blogger Keziah said...

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad that others like this! With me being away quite a lot this year, the wise men are not getting to travel as much as usual, but it is still fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Keziah

Location:
Scotland, United Kingdom

My Complete Profile

Favourite Websites
  • BBC Online
  • Boundless Webzine
  • Christian Medical Fellowship
  • Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
  • Desiring God (John Piper)
  • Elisabeth Elliot
  • Flylady
  • Good Book Company
  • Ligonier Ministries (R C Sproul)
  • London Institute for Contemporary Christianity

  • Archives
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    December 2007

    Labels
  • 101 things in 1001 days
  • accountability
  • bible study
  • biblical manhood
  • biblical womanhood
  • carnival of beauty
  • catechism
  • Christmas
  • consider your ways
  • faith
  • family
  • history
  • homemaking
  • marriage
  • miscellaneous
  • mission
  • news
  • photos
  • prayer
  • quotations
  • reading
  • Scotland
  • scripture memory
  • singleness
  • spiritual disciplines
  • time/money management
  • work
  • year of abundance

  • Previous Posts
    Beauty of Reaching Out: Bearing with One Another
    Consider Your Ways: Question 25
    O come, O come, Emmanuel!
    How can a Young Man Keep his Way Pure?
    A Fisher of Men
    Consider Your Ways: Question 24
    Understand Your Mission
    Dr Keziah MBChB MRCP(UK)
    Consider Your Ways: Question 23
    Wisdom of the Wise: Robert Murray McCheyne

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter by:

    Verse of the Day

    Blogroll
  • A Deeper Love
  • A Gracious Home
  • Biblical Womanhood
  • Butterflies in the Sky
  • Following an Unknown Path
  • In All Things
  • John Dekker's Journal
  • Just Enjoy the Journey
  • Just My Journal
  • Life in Return
  • Little People
  • New Day
  • Onward and Upward
  • Rocks in my Dryer
  • Satire and Theology
  • Solo Femininity
  • Titus2Talk
  • Twenty Six Cats
  • Une Fille d'Eve

  • I am reading...
  • Biblical Womanhood in the Home
  • ESV Reformation Study Bible
  • Practical Prayer
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
  • Winter Stories (Tove Jansson)

  • I am listening to...
  • Classic FM at the Movies
  • Eyes Open (Snow Patrol)
  • Favourite Things (Connie Fisher)
  • The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid (Bill Bryson)
  • Messiah (Handel)

  • Buttons





    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring
    Join List Random