Tuesday, December 05, 2006
Beauty of Reaching Out: Bearing with One Another
As part of this week's Carnival of Beauty on the Beauty of Reaching Out, I wonder if I can share a little about wonderful friends of mine and their example in reaching out to people.

I was converted through reading the Bible at the age of 17 having had no church background. Sadly, I started attending a church where the minister did not preach the Gospel, did not believe in the deity of Christ and did not believe that the Bible was the inerrant word of God. I was so confused - which bits of the Bible were true and which bits were just stories? Which bits were purely cultural? Some of it was clearly just stories. Wasn't it...?

A friend invited me to her church one evening just for a change. I just remember being so amazed that the preacher seemed to believe the whole Bible and that the service was so focused on God - we prayed to God, sang to God, read God's word, and listened to God's word being explained. I don't think I met them that day - I don't even remember when or where I first met them properly. I would never guessed that that preacher and his wife would become such close friends and probably the most influential people in my life.

I was so confused with really very dodgy theology, but they took the time to listen to me, to pray with me and to explain God's word. No question was too daft for them. They welcomed me into their home and treated me like one of the family to the point that I made my own cups of tea and was present for family arguments!

Joking aside, I don't know if they realise how important that was in itself. I come from a family where healthy conflict resolution is not a strong point! To see them argue, yet still be loving and respectful to each other, is such a good lesson for how I want to act when I disagree with my husband and children. They were humble, gentle and patient with me, even when I had difficulties understanding things, and rejoiced as I came to know the Bible more and more and for the true and living word that it is.

I have learned and grown so much talking to them and watching them. I really hope that I can share their example of love in action to others, reaching out to people on the periphery and demonstrating compassion practically and spiritually. I know that I would not be where I am now spiritually if it wasn't for them. Praise God for his mercy and kindness and for the love of his people.

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love
Ephesians 4:1-2

Labels: , ,


  posted at 10:07  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 05 December, 2006 23:21, Blogger Allison said...

Hi there :) Thanks for stopping by my blog, Ill be sure to be back to read yours as well as add a link to yours on mine :) God bless!
Allison

 
At 06 December, 2006 23:14, Blogger Keziah said...

Thanks for visiting! Many blessings as you continue your new blogging adventure!

 
At 07 December, 2006 15:28, Blogger Susanna said...

Hello. Thank you for contributing to the carnival. It is a sad truth that I think there are many believers out there without good teaching or the help needed to understand the Bible (and lets face it, none of understand it all)Thank GOd for faithful people like your pastor who love Christ above their own interests and desires.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Keziah

Location:
Scotland, United Kingdom

My Complete Profile

Favourite Websites
  • BBC Online
  • Boundless Webzine
  • Christian Medical Fellowship
  • Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
  • Desiring God (John Piper)
  • Elisabeth Elliot
  • Flylady
  • Good Book Company
  • Ligonier Ministries (R C Sproul)
  • London Institute for Contemporary Christianity

  • Archives
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    December 2007

    Labels
  • 101 things in 1001 days
  • accountability
  • bible study
  • biblical manhood
  • biblical womanhood
  • carnival of beauty
  • catechism
  • Christmas
  • consider your ways
  • faith
  • family
  • history
  • homemaking
  • marriage
  • miscellaneous
  • mission
  • news
  • photos
  • prayer
  • quotations
  • reading
  • Scotland
  • scripture memory
  • singleness
  • spiritual disciplines
  • time/money management
  • work
  • year of abundance

  • Previous Posts
    Consider Your Ways: Question 25
    O come, O come, Emmanuel!
    How can a Young Man Keep his Way Pure?
    A Fisher of Men
    Consider Your Ways: Question 24
    Understand Your Mission
    Dr Keziah MBChB MRCP(UK)
    Consider Your Ways: Question 23
    Wisdom of the Wise: Robert Murray McCheyne
    Given to the Children of Man

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter by:

    Verse of the Day

    Blogroll
  • A Deeper Love
  • A Gracious Home
  • Biblical Womanhood
  • Butterflies in the Sky
  • Following an Unknown Path
  • In All Things
  • John Dekker's Journal
  • Just Enjoy the Journey
  • Just My Journal
  • Life in Return
  • Little People
  • New Day
  • Onward and Upward
  • Rocks in my Dryer
  • Satire and Theology
  • Solo Femininity
  • Titus2Talk
  • Twenty Six Cats
  • Une Fille d'Eve

  • I am reading...
  • Biblical Womanhood in the Home
  • ESV Reformation Study Bible
  • Practical Prayer
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
  • Winter Stories (Tove Jansson)

  • I am listening to...
  • Classic FM at the Movies
  • Eyes Open (Snow Patrol)
  • Favourite Things (Connie Fisher)
  • The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid (Bill Bryson)
  • Messiah (Handel)

  • Buttons





    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring
    Join List Random