Wednesday, November 22, 2006
Given to the Children of Man
I found out about this amazing day on the Internet today. Now I am working all day on Saturday (for my American and Canadian readers, your Buy Nothing Day is on Friday) so it will be quite easy for me not to buy anything, but I wanted it share it with everyone else in case you wanted to have a go! I think its principles are great.

The day is designed to encourage people to shop less and spend more time with their family, along with reinforcing the very serious message that we, in developing countries, are consuming a disproportionate amount of resources. This in turn deprives the developing world of these resources and causes environmental damage.

I've been trying to make some changes in my shopping habits. I try to 'buy British' and take note of where my food comes from. We need to be aware of how far it has flown to get to the supermarket. How much did those people get paid? Where they paid fairly? What are their working conditions? I am also looking at how much packaging comes with my shopping and trying to reduce that. When I have stopped living in two cities and have settled down a bit, I am quite keen to start getting deliveries of vegetables from local farmers to cut down on both of these. I also need to work on my recycling much more than I actually do.

If you have any other suggestions or are going to try to "Buy Nothing" on Friday or Saturday, let me know!

The heavens are the LORD's heavens,
but the earth he has given to the children of man.

Psalm 115:16

Labels: , ,


  posted at 06:19  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 23 November, 2006 06:53, Blogger Robert said...

The "Buy Nothing Day" website does make some good points.It will be a Friday here (I'm in Canada) and since I work that day It will be easy for me not to buy anything though I don't buy alot of things any way.Today our society is too much of buy and consume.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Keziah

Location:
Scotland, United Kingdom

My Complete Profile

Favourite Websites
  • BBC Online
  • Boundless Webzine
  • Christian Medical Fellowship
  • Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
  • Desiring God (John Piper)
  • Elisabeth Elliot
  • Flylady
  • Good Book Company
  • Ligonier Ministries (R C Sproul)
  • London Institute for Contemporary Christianity

  • Archives
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    December 2007

    Labels
  • 101 things in 1001 days
  • accountability
  • bible study
  • biblical manhood
  • biblical womanhood
  • carnival of beauty
  • catechism
  • Christmas
  • consider your ways
  • faith
  • family
  • history
  • homemaking
  • marriage
  • miscellaneous
  • mission
  • news
  • photos
  • prayer
  • quotations
  • reading
  • Scotland
  • scripture memory
  • singleness
  • spiritual disciplines
  • time/money management
  • work
  • year of abundance

  • Previous Posts
    Consider Your Ways: Question 22
    We May Know Him Who is True
    Wisdom of the Wise: Matthew Henry
    Consider Your Ways: Question 21
    Wisdom of the Wise: James Hudson Taylor
    Command His Children
    Consider Your Ways: Question 20
    A Doctor's Prayer
    Blessed are the Peacemakers
    A Helper Fit for Him

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter by:

    Verse of the Day

    Blogroll
  • A Deeper Love
  • A Gracious Home
  • Biblical Womanhood
  • Butterflies in the Sky
  • Following an Unknown Path
  • In All Things
  • John Dekker's Journal
  • Just Enjoy the Journey
  • Just My Journal
  • Life in Return
  • Little People
  • New Day
  • Onward and Upward
  • Rocks in my Dryer
  • Satire and Theology
  • Solo Femininity
  • Titus2Talk
  • Twenty Six Cats
  • Une Fille d'Eve

  • I am reading...
  • Biblical Womanhood in the Home
  • ESV Reformation Study Bible
  • Practical Prayer
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
  • Winter Stories (Tove Jansson)

  • I am listening to...
  • Classic FM at the Movies
  • Eyes Open (Snow Patrol)
  • Favourite Things (Connie Fisher)
  • The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid (Bill Bryson)
  • Messiah (Handel)

  • Buttons





    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring
    Join List Random