Friday, February 16, 2007
Fill the Earth and Subdue it
I've been sent more details today about my holiday in Morocco. The company is very into responsible tourism - employing local guides and porters, staying in local homes and encouraging us to offset our carbon emissions from the flights through Climate Care.

I've read a lot about carbon offsetting and not really known what to do. Some companies, including my electricity company, plant trees but there's not too much evidence that this really helps in the long term other than salving our consciences. Climate Care plants some trees but focuses on addressing climate change by "reducing emissions through developing renewable fuel sources or boosting efficiency, rather than by focusing on sequestration." Their projects for 2005 included the installation of wind turbines in Karnataka and replacing normal bulbs with compact fluorescent lamps in South Africa, which was itself expected to save 14,100 tonnes of CO2 emissions, more than offsetting one person's emissions from the annual UK emissions.

The Earth Day Footprint Quiz also makes for interesting and uncomfortable reading. I try to be as conscious of the environment as I can be, but I really lost points by living on my own (not much I can do about that!) and by travelling 140 miles on an almost daily basis by car or train. I was shocked in myself when I discovered that "if everyone lived like you, we would need 7.3 planets." It's not ideal.

What can I do about all this? I've been impressed after reading through Climate Care's website and will offset my flights to Morocco and consider if to extend that to offsetting everything else. As soon as I find out where my job for next year is, I need to move there if at all possible, preferably within cycling distance. In the meantime, just quickly looking at my flat for things I can change today, I need to take the train as much as I possibly can, I need to finally get round to replacing my bulbs with the environmentally friendly bulbs, and I need to stop collecting plastic bags at the shop. Any other suggestions?

And God blessed them. And God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth." And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food."
Genesis 1:28-29

Labels: ,


  posted at 21:14  
  6 comments



6 Comments:
At 17 February, 2007 02:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here I was thinking that carbon emissions were stopping the earth from getting colder!

"Subdue" is an interesting word here - is it possible that the current talk about global warming is making us slaves to the environment? Or, have we damaged this earth as a result of misinterpreting this verse?

Anyway, it's exciting to hear about the trip. And my result was 4 planets...

 
At 17 February, 2007 10:20, Blogger Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

I took the quiz and it came up with 2.6 planets as a result. What that means exactly I am not sure, having not done the research or prepared the survey.

 
At 17 February, 2007 12:24, Blogger Jonny said...

I am studying engineering, and out whole class was made to do the footprint test, and write an essay. This is the new flavour when studying engineering now. But I wonder sometimes, some people take it too far, like a new religion.

 
At 17 February, 2007 18:04, Blogger Linda said...

I'm just not sure about all this "global warming" stuff. I do believe we should all live responsibly, but I think deep down I believe this is suddenly the "politically correct" thing to be talking about right now.

 
At 19 February, 2007 10:05, Blogger Keziah said...

I spent this weekend reading all about this - then spent it writing a very lengthy reply! It's all a bit long for a comment so you can find my reply here.

 
At 07 March, 2007 19:00, Blogger Jess Connell said...

Interesting quiz, Keziah! I found you through the blog party and I'm going to bookmark you and come back to visit again sometime!

Blessings,
Jess @ Making Home

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Keziah

Location:
Scotland, United Kingdom

My Complete Profile

Favourite Websites
  • BBC Online
  • Boundless Webzine
  • Christian Medical Fellowship
  • Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
  • Desiring God (John Piper)
  • Elisabeth Elliot
  • Flylady
  • Good Book Company
  • Ligonier Ministries (R C Sproul)
  • London Institute for Contemporary Christianity

  • Archives
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    December 2007

    Labels
  • 101 things in 1001 days
  • accountability
  • bible study
  • biblical manhood
  • biblical womanhood
  • carnival of beauty
  • catechism
  • Christmas
  • consider your ways
  • faith
  • family
  • history
  • homemaking
  • marriage
  • miscellaneous
  • mission
  • news
  • photos
  • prayer
  • quotations
  • reading
  • Scotland
  • scripture memory
  • singleness
  • spiritual disciplines
  • time/money management
  • work
  • year of abundance

  • Previous Posts
    Work Heartily!
    Love on through Love's Eternity
    Declare his Glory among the Nations (6)
    Declare his Glory among the Nations (5)
    Declare his Glory among the Nations (4)
    Declare his Glory among the Nations (3)
    Declare his Glory among the Nations (2)
    Declare his Glory among the Nations (1)
    He Commanded our Fathers to Teach
    The Plans I have for You

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter by:

    Verse of the Day

    Blogroll
  • A Deeper Love
  • A Gracious Home
  • Biblical Womanhood
  • Butterflies in the Sky
  • Following an Unknown Path
  • In All Things
  • John Dekker's Journal
  • Just Enjoy the Journey
  • Just My Journal
  • Life in Return
  • Little People
  • New Day
  • Onward and Upward
  • Rocks in my Dryer
  • Satire and Theology
  • Solo Femininity
  • Titus2Talk
  • Twenty Six Cats
  • Une Fille d'Eve

  • I am reading...
  • Biblical Womanhood in the Home
  • ESV Reformation Study Bible
  • Practical Prayer
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
  • Winter Stories (Tove Jansson)

  • I am listening to...
  • Classic FM at the Movies
  • Eyes Open (Snow Patrol)
  • Favourite Things (Connie Fisher)
  • The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid (Bill Bryson)
  • Messiah (Handel)

  • Buttons





    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring
    Join List Random