Wednesday, February 07, 2007
Declare his Glory among the Nations (2)
I was met in Lima by friends and stayed with them a few days to recover from the jet lag and to see some of Lima (very hot, very noisy, very dusty). After swimming in the Atlantic Ocean the week before while working in the Western Isles, I just had to paddling in the Pacific (not surprisingly a wee bit warmer!) I was then sent on my way with reminders not to drink the water and to wary of amorous Peruvians!

After the three hours of refusing marriage proposals (that he didn't speak English and lived in Peru and that my Spanish, at that stage at least, was fairly basic sadly did not deter him!), we arrived in Moyobamba. First impressions were hot, noisy and dusty. The temperature all year round is about 30°C, 'dropping' to 15-18°C at night. The noise also never seemed to stop. Even at night, the crickets were chirruping incessantly, the dogs barking, and the roosters singing their hearts out!

I stayed with a Peruvian family, one of the church elders, his wife and adopted daughter. They had two grown-up children studying away from home, but had adopted this wee girl after her mother, belonging to a local indigenous tribe, said that she could afford to keep her. It was wonderful to just become part of that family during my time there.

As for the language, I came to conclusion that I couldn't speak it very well (and my grammar is still pretty shoddy), but I could speak it. I was amazed on my first day at the clinic being shown round and realising that we were speaking in Spanish and I understood! Actually, it sometimes helped not being able to speak it fluently: for example, when I knew what someone was saying but didn't want to understand...

  1. La Plaza de Armas, Lima
  2. Shanty town on the outskirts of Lima
  3. La Plaza de Armas, Moyobamba
  4. My new Peruvian family! (should point out that this was taken after two months in Peru - I am just going to have to accept I really am pale!)
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6

Labels: ,


  posted at 21:26  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 08 February, 2007 04:44, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to keep reading. :) Loved the marriage proposal bit. lol (PS Switch the "i" and the "r" in my name!)

 
At 08 February, 2007 21:13, Blogger Keziah said...

Aargh! Kristy, Kristy, Kristy, Kristy! I keep doing that! Sorry! Please forgive me! ;-)

 
At 09 February, 2007 15:28, Blogger ashley said...

Hooray! Lima is where I spent most of my developmental years. I know all about the marriage proposals. ;-) Actually, I never got any proposals but I did learn it was in my best interest to avoid interacting with strange men! My Peruvian friends all thought I was rude. Sigh.

And I think your pale skin comment makes me smile. I am so pale, even after nine years. I used to try and get a tan in the summers - even the slightest tan was better than my pale skin!

 
At 10 February, 2007 23:20, Blogger Keziah said...

The weird things about the "not managing to get a tan" thing were that I have typically Scottish colouring (dark eyes, dark hair, pale skin which should be the sort of skin that burns easily but never does), I was on doxycycline for malaria prophylaxis which causes photosensitivity so makes you more prone to burn, and kept forgetting to burn sunscreen on - and I didn't even go at all pink. At best, I moved from being very pale to a slightly more health colour of pale!

 
At 10 February, 2007 23:21, Blogger Keziah said...

The weird things about the "not managing to get a tan" thing were that I have typically Scottish colouring (dark eyes, dark hair, pale skin which should be the sort of skin that burns easily but never does), I was on doxycycline for malaria prophylaxis which causes photosensitivity so makes you more prone to burn, and kept forgetting to put sunscreen on - and I didn't even go at all pink. At best, I moved from being very pale to a slightly more health colour of pale!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Keziah

Location:
Scotland, United Kingdom

My Complete Profile

Favourite Websites
  • BBC Online
  • Boundless Webzine
  • Christian Medical Fellowship
  • Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
  • Desiring God (John Piper)
  • Elisabeth Elliot
  • Flylady
  • Good Book Company
  • Ligonier Ministries (R C Sproul)
  • London Institute for Contemporary Christianity

  • Archives
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    December 2007

    Labels
  • 101 things in 1001 days
  • accountability
  • bible study
  • biblical manhood
  • biblical womanhood
  • carnival of beauty
  • catechism
  • Christmas
  • consider your ways
  • faith
  • family
  • history
  • homemaking
  • marriage
  • miscellaneous
  • mission
  • news
  • photos
  • prayer
  • quotations
  • reading
  • Scotland
  • scripture memory
  • singleness
  • spiritual disciplines
  • time/money management
  • work
  • year of abundance

  • Previous Posts
    Declare his Glory among the Nations (1)
    He Commanded our Fathers to Teach
    The Plans I have for You
    Wisdom of the Wise: C S Lewis
    This is Love
    Rest for your Soul
    4. What is God?
    Let Marriage be held in Honour
    Contented wi' Little and Cantie wi' Mair
    The LORD is Good!

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter by:

    Verse of the Day

    Blogroll
  • A Deeper Love
  • A Gracious Home
  • Biblical Womanhood
  • Butterflies in the Sky
  • Following an Unknown Path
  • In All Things
  • John Dekker's Journal
  • Just Enjoy the Journey
  • Just My Journal
  • Life in Return
  • Little People
  • New Day
  • Onward and Upward
  • Rocks in my Dryer
  • Satire and Theology
  • Solo Femininity
  • Titus2Talk
  • Twenty Six Cats
  • Une Fille d'Eve

  • I am reading...
  • Biblical Womanhood in the Home
  • ESV Reformation Study Bible
  • Practical Prayer
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
  • Winter Stories (Tove Jansson)

  • I am listening to...
  • Classic FM at the Movies
  • Eyes Open (Snow Patrol)
  • Favourite Things (Connie Fisher)
  • The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid (Bill Bryson)
  • Messiah (Handel)

  • Buttons





    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring
    Join List Random