Friday, February 02, 2007
The Plans I have for You
I can only quickly wander past today because I am busy sorting out job applications (or I would be if I could - read on!). There is a new online application form that is supposed to make things much easier for the 20,000 junior doctors applying for jobs in the UK and for the consultants who have to shortlist, interview and appoint them.

Instead it has turned into a bit of a disaster. There were supposed to be 9 jobs in Scotland for diabetes, my own specialty - instead there are just 4. Over 10,000 doctors can expect to be unemployed from August as this is replicated throughout every department across the UK. The application forms are plain funny - testing us more on our creative writing than our aptitude as doctors. The consultants shortlisting from these forms have not been told yet how they are allowed to mark them and choose who to interview. I've been trying to fill in my form online but the website keeps crashing, deleting everything I have filled in so far with it. The deadline is on Sunday, but I am on night shift all weekend so I was hoping to get in before I go to work tonight.

It's given me an interesting opportunity to seriously consider what to do if I don't end up with a job. I've thought about changing specialties. I really enjoy Geriatrics and Acute Medicine, but their trainees are in exactly the same position as me. I've thought about leaving the country. I'm not experienced enough yet to work longer-term abroad in a mission setting, but many of my friends have left to work in Canada, Australia and New Zealand. I've even thought about leaving medicine itself. I studied History of Art briefly as part of my medical degree and loved it. I love learning languages and speak five of them (with varying degrees of competency). But what could I do after that and can I really go back to university again?

In amongst all this, I am trying to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus, knowing that God has the plans for my life in his hands and has established all my steps. It is his purpose that will stand, not the random decision of a computer. God understands every plan and thought of men but it will his own will that has the victory. I'm trying to see this as exciting and as an adventure, knowing that I can have this trust in God. I feel desperately sorry for my friends and colleagues who are entering this uncertain time without this knowledge and peace.

Just as you read this, I would ask for your prayers that God's will be done here and also for my Christian witness and testimony as I share my own security with others.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Jeremiah 29:11

Labels: ,


  posted at 14:15  
  13 comments



13 Comments:
At 02 February, 2007 14:50, Blogger Keziah said...

Hmm, after intending just "to quickly wander past" to explain my absence, that turned out into a rather long post! Right then, back to see if that website is back up...

 
At 02 February, 2007 16:04, Blogger ashley said...

Wow! Tough time for you. :-( I will be praying that everything goes well. I hope the website stops crashing on you!

 
At 02 February, 2007 18:57, Blogger Duchess of Fife said...

We're having a shortage of doctors here in America! ;)

 
At 03 February, 2007 02:29, Blogger Linda said...

You will certainly be in my prayers Keziah. My daughter is in the process of looking for something new so I will pray for both of you. Your heart attitude is right - and I know the Lord will direct your steps.
My husband has been a diabetic for nearly 40 years - so I'm hoping He leads you to a job in that specialty:)
I'll be excited to hear how it all goes. We know it will be for your best.

 
At 05 February, 2007 00:31, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, what a pain! I do have to say, however, yay for Australia! *wink wink*

 
At 05 February, 2007 20:18, Blogger Keziah said...

Thanks for all your prayers. The application went in yesterday morning just as I finished my night shift.

In a stressful moment on Thursday, while the website was down, I emailed the BBC News to tell them about the farce that was being played out on the computer screens of 28,000 junior doctors. I didn't hear anything back - until last night when a journalist from the BBC phoned me for an interview.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to have made it on to the BBC Website today, although Channel 4 have run the story with other doctors. I'll be sure to let you know if the article appears!

I'll be in touch if I end up needing a job in America or Australia - many jobs around Adelaide, Kirsty? ;-)

 
At 05 February, 2007 20:33, Blogger Keziah said...

The Channel 4 story can be viewed here.

 
At 06 February, 2007 13:19, Blogger Jonny said...

You should work in Hobart Tasmania! Look up "Royal Hobart Hospital".

 
At 06 February, 2007 19:42, Blogger Keziah said...

If I don't get a job here, I'll be sure to consider that, Jonny, but you would all have to promise to be my friends!

 
At 13 February, 2007 09:07, Blogger Felicity said...

We would love for you to come to Hobart, for work. We have a nation wide shortage of Doctors. But regardless of my desires, I pray God will direct your path. Great to hear that the application went through in the end. God Bless :)

 
At 13 February, 2007 19:09, Blogger Keziah said...

Felicity, thank you so much for that encouragement. I find out if I have been shortlisted for any jobs in a couple of weeks, so I might need to get back in touch for advice! Thank you so much for your prayers - you have no idea how much it means that Christian brothers and sisters who have never even met me are praying for me right now.

 
At 10 May, 2021 07:20, Anonymous http://ariadnetravel.com said...

It seems you are getting quite a lot of unwanted comments. Maybe you should look into a solution for that. http://ariadnetravel.com/

 
At 18 July, 2021 11:35, Anonymous casa paradiso said...

Wow super article. I’ve examine a few other articles inside your weblog and discovered very educational and I understand many point as well from the meaningful posts.   casa paradiso

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Keziah

Location:
Scotland, United Kingdom

My Complete Profile

Favourite Websites
  • BBC Online
  • Boundless Webzine
  • Christian Medical Fellowship
  • Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
  • Desiring God (John Piper)
  • Elisabeth Elliot
  • Flylady
  • Good Book Company
  • Ligonier Ministries (R C Sproul)
  • London Institute for Contemporary Christianity

  • Archives
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    December 2007

    Labels
  • 101 things in 1001 days
  • accountability
  • bible study
  • biblical manhood
  • biblical womanhood
  • carnival of beauty
  • catechism
  • Christmas
  • consider your ways
  • faith
  • family
  • history
  • homemaking
  • marriage
  • miscellaneous
  • mission
  • news
  • photos
  • prayer
  • quotations
  • reading
  • Scotland
  • scripture memory
  • singleness
  • spiritual disciplines
  • time/money management
  • work
  • year of abundance

  • Previous Posts
    Wisdom of the Wise: C S Lewis
    This is Love
    Rest for your Soul
    4. What is God?
    Let Marriage be held in Honour
    Contented wi' Little and Cantie wi' Mair
    The LORD is Good!
    Beauty of Mary and Martha: The Good Portion
    Keep your Soul Diligently
    3. What do the Scriptures principally teach?

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter by:

    Verse of the Day

    Blogroll
  • A Deeper Love
  • A Gracious Home
  • Biblical Womanhood
  • Butterflies in the Sky
  • Following an Unknown Path
  • In All Things
  • John Dekker's Journal
  • Just Enjoy the Journey
  • Just My Journal
  • Life in Return
  • Little People
  • New Day
  • Onward and Upward
  • Rocks in my Dryer
  • Satire and Theology
  • Solo Femininity
  • Titus2Talk
  • Twenty Six Cats
  • Une Fille d'Eve

  • I am reading...
  • Biblical Womanhood in the Home
  • ESV Reformation Study Bible
  • Practical Prayer
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
  • Winter Stories (Tove Jansson)

  • I am listening to...
  • Classic FM at the Movies
  • Eyes Open (Snow Patrol)
  • Favourite Things (Connie Fisher)
  • The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid (Bill Bryson)
  • Messiah (Handel)

  • Buttons





    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring
    Join List Random