Friday, March 16, 2007
Tolle Lege, Tolle Lege
This comes from John Dekker's Journal - let me know if you do this too!

Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback?

I do most of my reading in bed or on the train, so I prefer paperback. For reference books or my favourite books, hardback is best.

Online purchase or brick and mortar?

Online is fine if I know exactly what I am looking for, but I look to wander round bookshops, looking at books, picking them up and taking plenty of time to decide what to read next.

Barnes & Noble or Borders?

We don't have Barnes & Noble up here, so I'll have to say Borders, especially as they have good coffee and muffins there too. If you ever come to visit me in Scotland, we'll have to go to visit my favourite bookshop - Leakie's in Inverness is an amazing second hand bookshop. It is in a huge old church and has books on everything imaginable!

Bookmark or dog-ear?

I'm with John on this one - never dog-ear a book. I have plenty of bookmarks although if you flick through some of my books, you'd be able to tell which trains I was on at the time and when!

Mark or not mark?

I can't mark books, but I keep notes in a notebook for the different books I read. My diary is also full of little messages to myself based on whatever I was reading that day.

Alphabetise by author or alphabetize by title or random?

For someone who is just a little more than a little obsessive, I am uncharacteristically unorganised with my many books. They have expanded out of the bookshelves and now form artistic piles on the floor! I've gone for purposely not organising my books to encourage folk to have a look at all the piles, rather than keeping all the 'religious' books in one section.

Keep, throw away, or sell?

If it was a good book, I'll keep it. Otherwise, it will be added into the latest charity shop box or given to a friend or one of the family in case they might like it.

Keep dust-jacket or toss it?

I actually don't know my answer to this. Looking at my bookshelves from where I sit at the moment, I have so few hardbacks that came with dustjackets. I'd most likely keep them, I think.

Read with dust-jacket or remove it?

If it is a reference book and I am reading it at my desk, the dustjacket can stay on. If I am reading it in bed, it will need to come off.

Short story or novel?

I like good long complex novels to really get your teeth into over months (well, days...).

Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)?

It depends. Roald Dahl has written some great collections of short stories and I'm enjoying reading Tove Jansson's A Winter Book. It's good to be introduced to new authors through anthologies.

Lord of the Rings or Narnia.

Oooh, tough choice! They are both amazing! I loved the Chronicles of Narnia as a child, but Lord of the Rings is so amazingly detailed.

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?

When I am tired - I always want to read more. When I am supposed to be working and revising, I have to make myself stop at chapter headings. I was sitting my finals for medical school when the fifth Harry Potter came out so had to hide it from myself until the afternoon after my final exam. The results were coming out that afternoon so sitting out in the sun and reading Harry Potter was the perfect way to distract myself from the impending news!

“It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?

It depends what sort of mood I am in. I definitely have more gothic phases yet sometimes curling up with Jane Austen is the best way to spend an evening.

Buy or Borrow?

I'll buy more often, but I love borrowing from friends and recommending books from my bookshelves for my friends to borrow.

New or used?

Both.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse?

I'll take recommendations from friends but enjoy just wandering round bookshops, particularly good second hand ones.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger?

If there is not going to be a sequel, then please tie up most of the loose ends, or I will spend the rest of the night wondering what happened!

Morning reading, afternoon reading or night time reading?

I get some time to read on the train, but I tend to read medical journals or more serious tomes then. In the evening, I'll read fiction. I can't go to sleep without reading, at least for a few minutes. It helps me to wind down a little from the busyness of the day.

Standalone or series?

I can't really decide here. Looking at my bookshelves, almost all of them are standalone books, but I have a few collections of books by the same author.

Favourite series?

Is it a bad thing that I want to ask my boss not to make me work on the 21st July? It's just that my friends will be reading it too and I don't want to know the ending until I've read it.

Favourite book of which nobody else has heard?

The Apothecary's House by Adrian Mathews

Favourite books read last year?

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour by Kate Fox
God is the Gospel by John Piper

Favorite book of all time?

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Mere Christianity by C S Lewis
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Tolle lege, tolle lege.
Take up and read, take up and read.
Augustine of Hippo, early Christian theologian (354-430)

Labels:


  posted at 07:12  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 16 March, 2007 12:48, Blogger ashley said...

Ooh I love the Count of Monte Cristo!! :-) That's one of my favorites.

 
At 16 March, 2007 14:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever commented on your blog before. My husband and I love Great Britain and on our next visit to Scotland we want to go to Inverness, etc. I'm so pleased to learn of that bookstore. We love books and especially love to search out treasures in old bookstores! Blessings!
Ellen B.
http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/

 
At 21 March, 2007 22:36, Blogger Keziah said...

Ashley - have you seen the Gerard Depardieu mini-series version in French? It is definitely much better than the film version and is just how you would imagine everyone and everything to be!

Ellen - let me know if you come to Scotland! I'd happily show you some of the sights - and Leakies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Keziah

Location:
Scotland, United Kingdom

My Complete Profile

Favourite Websites
  • BBC Online
  • Boundless Webzine
  • Christian Medical Fellowship
  • Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
  • Desiring God (John Piper)
  • Elisabeth Elliot
  • Flylady
  • Good Book Company
  • Ligonier Ministries (R C Sproul)
  • London Institute for Contemporary Christianity

  • Archives
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    December 2007

    Labels
  • 101 things in 1001 days
  • accountability
  • bible study
  • biblical manhood
  • biblical womanhood
  • carnival of beauty
  • catechism
  • Christmas
  • consider your ways
  • faith
  • family
  • history
  • homemaking
  • marriage
  • miscellaneous
  • mission
  • news
  • photos
  • prayer
  • quotations
  • reading
  • Scotland
  • scripture memory
  • singleness
  • spiritual disciplines
  • time/money management
  • work
  • year of abundance

  • Previous Posts
    Evensong and Engagements
    Wisdom of the Wise: Elisabeth Elliot
    Is Someone Trying to Tell Me Something?!
    Earnestly Desire the Spiritual Gifts
    Mangling Medical Careers
    My Visual DNA
    5. Are there more Gods than one?
    Desperately Seeking Doctors
    The Ultimate Blog Party!
    Transgressions...Inquity...Sin

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter by:

    Verse of the Day

    Blogroll
  • A Deeper Love
  • A Gracious Home
  • Biblical Womanhood
  • Butterflies in the Sky
  • Following an Unknown Path
  • In All Things
  • John Dekker's Journal
  • Just Enjoy the Journey
  • Just My Journal
  • Life in Return
  • Little People
  • New Day
  • Onward and Upward
  • Rocks in my Dryer
  • Satire and Theology
  • Solo Femininity
  • Titus2Talk
  • Twenty Six Cats
  • Une Fille d'Eve

  • I am reading...
  • Biblical Womanhood in the Home
  • ESV Reformation Study Bible
  • Practical Prayer
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
  • Winter Stories (Tove Jansson)

  • I am listening to...
  • Classic FM at the Movies
  • Eyes Open (Snow Patrol)
  • Favourite Things (Connie Fisher)
  • The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid (Bill Bryson)
  • Messiah (Handel)

  • Buttons





    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring
    Join List Random