Monday, January 08, 2007
Your Wagon Tracks Overflow
One of my goals for 2007 is to join a movement led by Sallie at A Gracious Home in Celebrating a Year of Abundance. It's not meant to be about deprivation or living legalistically, but instead it's about being a good steward of what we already have and trying to focus less on material things. Along with the others, we will be following an old Depression Era motto:
Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Do without
While decluttering my house recently, I was amazed how many things I had, even down to toiletries that I had forgotten about and so bought more of them. I am now working steadfastly through using everything up before I buy more.

Another issue for me will be food. I live in a different city to the one where I work, so often I will stay up there during the week rather than drive home. This makes planning meals and sorting out food shopping more difficult. It is often just easier to buy food on my way back home and make a meal from that. If only to allow me to defrost the freezer, I need to make the effort to make my meals from the food I already have. It will force me to be a little more inventive and adventurous with my cooking over the next few weeks as I try to find combinations that work. Perhaps I should be glad that I live on my own and that no-one else will have to suffer this!

While sorting through a huge pile of paperwork hidden away in the spare room a few weeks ago, I was shocked to see how much stationery I own. (That weekend, I also developed a new hobby - shredding old documents is wonderfully satisfying!) Some of it I have had since I was in primary school! There will be no excuse for buying new stationery any time soon.

Part of what I am looking forward to is having a more uncluttered home, but I'm hoping to learn more about what is responsible stewardship for all of God gifts to me. Even already, as I have wandered around my house or done my shopping, I have almost heard your voices sitting on my shoulder gently reciting "Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without!"
Sallie also tells me that this week is National Delurking Week designed to get all the lurkers out there to comment on the blogs they visit. When I saw this advert for it, I just had to participate it so please comment somewhere if you've never commented before!
You crown the year with your bounty;
your wagon tracks overflow with abundance.

Psalm 65:11

Labels: ,


  posted at 09:13  
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At 08 January, 2007 14:22, Blogger Beth said...

I'm going to have to go through my kitchen cabinets pretty soon as well. I think that will have to be my first major project for the Year of Abundance. I have so many cans of soup and such that I have never eaten, and I keep buying more!

 
At 08 January, 2007 19:54, Blogger Fratzels said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and reflections, your blog is a great place for fellowship. I plan on adding it to my favorite blogs.

 
At 08 January, 2007 22:01, Blogger Bernadine said...

I'm looking forward to reading your experiences Keziah. My worst over indulgence are books. I have a stack that I haven't read and yet I can barely walk past a bookstore without buying more.

 
At 08 January, 2007 23:15, Blogger Jonny said...

If you want me to comment you will have to show us a picture of yourself wearing old clothes you are wearing out and making do with.

 
At 09 January, 2007 01:38, Blogger Kathy said...

Well done on shredding all those documents! It seems to me the growth in technology has coincided with the exponential growth of paper use. As a fellow celbrator it is encouraging to read of your progress.

 
At 09 January, 2007 01:40, Blogger Kathy said...

Sorry about the typo. CELEBRATOR is what I meant to type - I should preview ...

 
At 10 January, 2007 22:16, Blogger Keziah said...

I was in town today after my night shift trying to find an outfit for a wedding next month - anytime I looked at anything, all I heard was "Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without"! I'll need to search through my wardrobe to make sure there is nothing I have forgotten about!

 
At 13 January, 2007 13:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

loved your entry. I have spent a great evening reading through new blogs on the 'celebrating a year of abundance'... I loved what you had to say about having an uncluttered home & learning about responsible stewardship.
Helen
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/marthaskitchen/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Keziah

Location:
Scotland, United Kingdom

My Complete Profile

Favourite Websites
  • BBC Online
  • Boundless Webzine
  • Christian Medical Fellowship
  • Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
  • Desiring God (John Piper)
  • Elisabeth Elliot
  • Flylady
  • Good Book Company
  • Ligonier Ministries (R C Sproul)
  • London Institute for Contemporary Christianity

  • Archives
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    December 2007

    Labels
  • 101 things in 1001 days
  • accountability
  • bible study
  • biblical manhood
  • biblical womanhood
  • carnival of beauty
  • catechism
  • Christmas
  • consider your ways
  • faith
  • family
  • history
  • homemaking
  • marriage
  • miscellaneous
  • mission
  • news
  • photos
  • prayer
  • quotations
  • reading
  • Scotland
  • scripture memory
  • singleness
  • spiritual disciplines
  • time/money management
  • work
  • year of abundance

  • Previous Posts
    1. What is the Chief End of Man?
    Wisdom of the Wise: Minnie Louise Haskins
    A Heritage from the Lord
    You Know it Altogether
    Press On Toward the Goal
    Happy New Year!
    He Humbled Himself
    Not by Bread Alone
    Consider Your Ways: Question 31
    Carnival of Beauty: the Beauty of Solitude

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter by:

    Verse of the Day

    Blogroll
  • A Deeper Love
  • A Gracious Home
  • Biblical Womanhood
  • Butterflies in the Sky
  • Following an Unknown Path
  • In All Things
  • John Dekker's Journal
  • Just Enjoy the Journey
  • Just My Journal
  • Life in Return
  • Little People
  • New Day
  • Onward and Upward
  • Rocks in my Dryer
  • Satire and Theology
  • Solo Femininity
  • Titus2Talk
  • Twenty Six Cats
  • Une Fille d'Eve

  • I am reading...
  • Biblical Womanhood in the Home
  • ESV Reformation Study Bible
  • Practical Prayer
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
  • Winter Stories (Tove Jansson)

  • I am listening to...
  • Classic FM at the Movies
  • Eyes Open (Snow Patrol)
  • Favourite Things (Connie Fisher)
  • The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid (Bill Bryson)
  • Messiah (Handel)

  • Buttons





    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring
    Join List Random