Thursday, July 20, 2006
Bring the Books!
I love reading. I always have done. I just gobble books up! From Enid Blyton and CS Lewis, to Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte, to JK Rowling and Alexandre Dumas...from JI Packer and Paul Brand, to Saint Augustine and Thomas Aquinas, to Helen Roseveare and George Herbert - a random selection from the piles of books that surround me reflecting an electic collection! I try to read a wide variety of books from all sorts of writers on all sorts of topics to inform, educate and challenge me. But with my tendency to read quickly and my limited time, I maybe don't spend as much time as I should pondering.

With this in mind, I have decided to start a new habit. Inspired by a good friend who does this, I have decided to read my next book with my notebook in my lap and my pen in my hand. I am going to try to take time each day to sit and read slowly, savouring the words and the ideas, jotting down useful sentences and adding my own questions and thoughts to it.

As for the next book? Well, it is one which has been greeted by such controversy! I've read so many articles by people I respect either praising or denouncing the author for her ideas. "Getting Serious About Getting Married: Rethinking the Gift of Singleness" by Deborah Maken challenges the prevailing view of the Evangelical church that singleness is a 'gift from God', saying instead that it is unnatural and goes as far to say that it is actually unbiblical and against God's plan!

It was given to me by a friend who wanted to know my thoughts on it. I did my usual quick readthrough and found myself wavering on where to stand - I think there is a lot of truth in there but I felt that sometimes she took things too far. So let's see if the notes help to clarify or clutter my mind! In the meantime, see what some others thought: Camerin Courtney, Tim Challies, Candice Z Watters

The man who never reads will never be read; he who never quotes will never be quoted. He who will not use the thoughts of other men's brains, proves that he has no brains of his own. Brethren, what is true of ministers is true of all people. You need to read ... Paul cries, "Bring the books" -- join in the cry.
Charles Hadden Spurgeon (1832-1894)

Labels: , ,


  posted at 14:58  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 17 August, 2016 01:36, Blogger oakleyses said...

replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, tory burch outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses wholesale, louis vuitton, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, polo ralph lauren, nike free run, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, polo outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, nike roshe, christian louboutin uk, chanel handbags, nike air max, air max, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin shoes, replica watches, jordan shoes, uggs on sale, burberry pas cher, longchamp outlet, jordan pas cher, ugg boots, nike free, kate spade outlet, gucci handbags, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses

 
At 17 August, 2016 01:43, Blogger oakleyses said...

soccer jerseys, mac cosmetics, reebok outlet, vans outlet, valentino shoes, hollister, herve leger, nike air max, lancel, instyler, hollister clothing, north face outlet, nike roshe run, nike air max, ferragamo shoes, hollister, converse outlet, ray ban, jimmy choo outlet, longchamp uk, ralph lauren, iphone cases, bottega veneta, p90x workout, converse, nfl jerseys, gucci, babyliss, chi flat iron, insanity workout, mcm handbags, vans, soccer shoes, new balance shoes, oakley, hermes belt, timberland boots, baseball bats, wedding dresses, louboutin, celine handbags, ghd hair, asics running shoes, abercrombie and fitch, lululemon, nike trainers uk, nike huaraches, mont blanc pens, beats by dre, north face outlet

 
At 29 January, 2019 08:48, Anonymous Pengobatan Hilangkan Cairan Di Paru said...

A very good article to read, thank you for sharing the information

Pengobatan Atasi Sakit Saraf
Obat Penyakit Kulit Dermatitis Statis
Pengobatan Alternatif Atasi Iritasi Lambung
Cara Mengobati Keratitis
Cara Mengobati Radang Rahim
Pengobatan Untuk Menormalkan Penyempitan Uretra

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me


Name:
Keziah

Location:
Scotland, United Kingdom

My Complete Profile

Favourite Websites
  • BBC Online
  • Boundless Webzine
  • Christian Medical Fellowship
  • Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
  • Desiring God (John Piper)
  • Elisabeth Elliot
  • Flylady
  • Good Book Company
  • Ligonier Ministries (R C Sproul)
  • London Institute for Contemporary Christianity

  • Archives
    July 2006
    August 2006
    September 2006
    October 2006
    November 2006
    December 2006
    January 2007
    February 2007
    March 2007
    April 2007
    December 2007

    Labels
  • 101 things in 1001 days
  • accountability
  • bible study
  • biblical manhood
  • biblical womanhood
  • carnival of beauty
  • catechism
  • Christmas
  • consider your ways
  • faith
  • family
  • history
  • homemaking
  • marriage
  • miscellaneous
  • mission
  • news
  • photos
  • prayer
  • quotations
  • reading
  • Scotland
  • scripture memory
  • singleness
  • spiritual disciplines
  • time/money management
  • work
  • year of abundance

  • Previous Posts
    Seek to Show Hospitality
    The Good Portion
    A Woman who Fears the Lord

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Blogger

    Meter by:

    Verse of the Day

    Blogroll
  • A Deeper Love
  • A Gracious Home
  • Biblical Womanhood
  • Butterflies in the Sky
  • Following an Unknown Path
  • In All Things
  • John Dekker's Journal
  • Just Enjoy the Journey
  • Just My Journal
  • Life in Return
  • Little People
  • New Day
  • Onward and Upward
  • Rocks in my Dryer
  • Satire and Theology
  • Solo Femininity
  • Titus2Talk
  • Twenty Six Cats
  • Une Fille d'Eve

  • I am reading...
  • Biblical Womanhood in the Home
  • ESV Reformation Study Bible
  • Practical Prayer
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook
  • Winter Stories (Tove Jansson)

  • I am listening to...
  • Classic FM at the Movies
  • Eyes Open (Snow Patrol)
  • Favourite Things (Connie Fisher)
  • The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid (Bill Bryson)
  • Messiah (Handel)

  • Buttons





    Christian Women Online
    Blog Ring
    Join List Random